Re: [opensuse] mirrors
  • From: frank nelson <imotgm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 April 2006 14:44, frank nelson
> wrote:
>> and everything has always been in one place,
>> as it should be.

> Well, a combination of wanting to show off our
> openess

Sounds more like the truth, about a misguided
ego-trip, and more believable than blaming the mirror
maintainers.

> and the mirrormaintainers not wanting to mirror
> the same quite large repo twice (i.e. having inst-
> source on both ftp.suse.com and opensuse.

Not needed if handled properly. On the openSUSE
mirrors there is a directory called factory, and it's
called that for a reason. That is the very essence of
what openSUSE is. It is the community part of the
factory that produces SUSE Linux, and as such, like
all factories, when the product is finished, it should
be moved to the showroom, both to make room for
building the next product in the factory, and to
show-off the shiny new product in the showroom. It
announces, and confirms that it is in fact finished,
and ready for use. The showroom, should be, and
always, prior to 10.0, was www.suse.com, and it's
mirrors. The openSUSE mirrors should reflect the fact
that they are the factory, and contain only works in
progress.

On Usenet we keep getting questions from people who
went searching for SUSE 10.0, saw 10.1 and jumped
right into the latest and greatest, not understanding
the concept of beta software, and later, complaining
when it doesn't work as expected. The finished and
unfinished state of the product, SUSE Linux, needs to
be the deciding factor as to where it resides, not the
openness.

By it's very nature all of SUSE Linux is OSS, except
for the few things in the *extra directory, or at
least that should be the dividing line. Anyone wanting
pure OSS should be able to install all of SUSE, except
the contents of the *extra directory, and know they
have only OSS. All proprietary non-OSS things offered
by SUSE Linux should properly be found in *extra only.
This is a far more logical separation scheme than has
existed with SUSE 10.0, and much easier for a SUSE
newbie to grasp.

--
imotgm