Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:07:38 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2006-04-25 at 17:40 +0200, houghi wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:08:29PM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Of course, that's true. I don't know if it is possible to
> > "internationallise" an script, ie, translate its messages.
>
> Sure it is. Check the language settings and then do with that what you
> like. Either in the script or outside of it.
> I am sure other people will have much better solutions. It is just a prove
> of concept.

Ok. But it needs a programming effort. It doesn't use the GNU gettext
utilities. In fact, I don't think I have seen a bash script with
translations: it must be difficult.

> > Often in SuSE scripts are self-documented, with comments. It would be very
> > dificult to maintain that kind of documentation in diferent languages. In
> > those cases, the translation has to be separate.
>
> Those are remarks, not so much documentation.
> I am talking about documentation for the user. You are talking about
> documentation for the developer. Again an whole other issue.
>
> Please stop sidestepping the issue.

Hey, notice that there are several people in this thread, and each one
looks at the issue differently. I'm interested mostly in translation. I'm
also interested in documentation, in general, but I'll try to keep my self
mostly centered in translation: of the program and of the documentation.

There are scripts, like amavis-new, that do not have documentation
included in the rpm. If you ask, they say that "the configuration file
is self documented, jut read it". I fully agree that it is
documentation for the developer, but that is what there is. I said
that as an example of the difficulties.

> This is as far as I can see how the discussion is going:
> + I would like to have better user documentation
> - Write it
> + Well, actually I would like user documents translations
> - Well, translate it
> + Well, actually I would developer comments translated

I certainly do not want the comments translated. I'm just asking how you
document in different languages something that does not have separate
documentation; if they point you to read the comments included in the
script, instead of having a real users documentation.

> So again please rephrase what you want and what you do not want.

You are misunderstanding me.

And remember, please, that at the moment I'm currently translating a
biggish program to Spanish. This is not idle talk on my part.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson