Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:57:23 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2006-04-25 at 15:40 +0200, houghi wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:02:59PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> > but a man mapge is just that: a remainder of commands
>
> For me `an interface to the on-line reference manuals` is more then just a
> list of -v, -h, -l and so on.

For me, a man page is a manual: all information needed to use a program
without need to read a paper manual. From the simple to the complex. If
too complex, then use "info" pages instead, or added. It must include the
syntax, some examples, and descriptions. If they don't like "info", then
use html, but include an exact link in a small man page (some do this).

> One of the best manpages is, I think, fetchmail. Especially the part
> "CONFIGURATION EXAMPLES". I learned more from that chapter on how to use
> it then from any other part of the manpage.

Another good one is "procmail", except that the examples are separated in
"man procmailex".

And a curious "-h" one is "smartctl": it gives examples.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >