Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:40:04 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2006-04-24 at 17:23 -0700, Andreas wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 25.04.2006, 01:32 +0200 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>
> > If there are so few writers and translators, perhaps there is something
> > wrong that don't attract these people to help. So, something has probably
> > got to be done to attract them. One of my guess is that good translators
> > translate for a living and are not interested in working for free (as in
> > beer).
>
> I don't know about "good".

Me neither :-P

It more difficult to translate than it seems. I can read, write, talk in
English quite fluently, but I find it quite difficult to translate to
Spanish or viceversa. Compounding things, the price of a good technical
translating dictionary (in paper) is in the 100 Eur range. For
english-german-english, you have advantage over me: there are good tools
in linux. For spanish... ugh.

> Anyhow, I would like to do some translation
> work for an open source project too, but then again, taking a look at a
> random man page frustrates more than anything: Even for a native English
> speaker, who is not exactly a Linux-buff though, the average man page is
> simply gibberish (try man mount, or - for the real brave - man rpm)

It is the technical side of how to edit a man page that still scares me.

> And what helps a translation of an outdated or plain wrong
> documentation.

True enough.

- --
Cheers,