PATA errors with SATA driver loaded and no SATA drives
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff.taylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:50:25 -0500
I have been chasing errors on the PATA hard disk and PATA DVD/CD
writer on my Abit motherboard for months. Finally I started shopping
around for a replacement computer. But after a few weeks, I noticed
there had been no errors for three weeks, approximately since the last
reboot. What was different? I think, I had unloaded the SATA
driver. This motherboard has both PATA and SATA controllers, but
nothing is plugged into the SATA controllers. I had to take down the
machine to check some part numbers. On reboot, errors while burning a
DVD from disk. Unload the Nvidia SATA drivers (nv_sata) and try
again, no errors. Next day, burn the backups to DVD. No errors.

I think I have enough points to draw a line. The errors are coming
from interference between the PATA and SATA controllers and/or the
PATA and SATA drivers. Anyone experienced anything like this?

And what is the SuSE way to prevent the drivers from being loaded?

Jeffrey

< Previous Next >