Re: [opensuse] suse 10.1 does not resolv in local network
On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 17:17 +0200, Mrvka Andreas wrote:
> hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 24.04.2006, 15:39 +0200 schrieb Per Jessen:
>

> > Then you need
> >
> > 1) a name-server and
> > 2) to have the DHCP-server update that name-server dynamically.
> >

> as I wrote in my mail, we have active diretory running with dns
> included ....
> (standard software: wins, dhcp, dns in the AD)
>
> if I set my suse-box up for gathering IP addresse, it gets one, but the
> MS dhcp server does not
> get information about the client name.
>
> I just can check a box in the network services that my suse-box gets the
> pc-name of
> a resolved name of a dhcp IP addresse which a client had in former
> times.
>
> a windows client just enters the network and sends its name to the
> dhcp/dns server.
> its automatically inserted into dhcp and dns.

In the Windows world, a client first sends a request to a DHCP server.
This request includes the machine name. The DHCP server responds with an
IP address and network settings, including the DNS servers. When the
network on the client comes up, it registers with the DNS server. I
believe it uses SMB for that. Note that these are two separate actions,
using different protocols.

In the rest of the world, it's slightly different. A client sends a
request to a DHCP server, usually without the machine name. The response
from the DHCP server is similar, but can also include a machine name for
the client to take on (Windows clients will ignore that, but Linux
clients work with that very happily). The DHCP server then also sends a
(secured) message to the DNS server which enters it in the local zone.
The client then doesn't need to do any further name registration.

To use AD as your DHCP and DNS for a Linux client, your client will need
to do that registration in the AD DNS, for which you are probably going
to need Samba (to get the SMB protocols), and make your Linux client a
member of the AD (to fit in with the AD security model).

> why is it not possible for linux acing the same way? :-(

Better question: Why didn't Microsoft make Windows so that it does what
the rest of the world was already doing? At least Samba provides most of
the proprietary functionality for Active Directory...

Personally, I have opted to run DHCP and DNS on Linux, because that
makes life soooo much easier.

--
Herman Verkade <hhv-suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

< Previous Next >