Re: [opensuse] making the community grow
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:48:24 +0200
Rajko M wrote:

> Majority asking for forum...
don't start the thread again. I don't like forum. I'm on the
french Alionet forum because I want to make opensuse known,
but I think the discussion ended in favor of forum and I
accept that.

but this was not done.

I remember having waited 6 month the french wiki. Now We,
french, are 6 month late :-(

and when the wiki come I was nearly leaving... and could
have leave.

Voluntieers are always busy people. they can be busy with us
if we give them what they need, or for completely different
things if not.

I remember old times at university. We where using gestetner
to copy courses. We had to put the sheets of papers on a
table and turn around taking a sheet at a time, to make the
book.

anytime a student come to see us we said go help, turn with
us :-)

and we had hundreds of companions.

Then with buy a machine to make the collection. one year off
we have less than ten people working. we didn't retain the
volunteers.

So we need to identify

* things to make the people come at least once
* small jobs, the easier the better that anybody can do.

right now I can see some of these jobs:

* bug hunting. bugzilla is a little intimidating. the main
problem is that it's entirely in english. should it be
possible to have the bugzilla screens translated? I know one
must understand a little english to help, but I had myself
quite difficulties to go there the first time. may be we
should open a "bug report wiki page", at least on
non_english wikis?

* wiki typo editing: here the login process is a brake. May
be a forum could be a better entry point for beginners

* categorisation : we need really to better document this

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net