Re: [opensuse] making the community grow
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:10:06 -0500
jdd wrote:
Peter Flodin wrote:
On 4/20/06, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think I already drop some words about it, but it's
probably worth making from time to time

I found the active community very short in number.

We should try to find ways to attract users and make some of
them becomming more involved.
How about a web forum?

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin, runs away....

Let me check how far flies tomato :-)

simply we need to see the discussed projects to be achieved.

even if few people discussed them. I don't like forums, but
forum creation was clearly asked by a majority, so go ahead.

DO a frontpage redesign, why not with an info banner "one
month page redesign contest" :-)

go on...

jdd

The joke about forum is that we have 8 newsgroups with opensuse.org in the name, but not many present here are present there to help out with the problems.

BTW http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate#Usenet
lists a half of gmane, but not own support-forums.novell.com.
I found them under http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate#Web-Forums.
Well, it's a bitty hidden, but ...

Why forum if news groups are not used?
From my prospective they both have the same essence considering problem solution, graphic gimmicks possible in web forum are just annoyance making reading harder.

Majority asking for forum should try to see support-forums.novell.com. That would be one of the places where www.opensuse.org can be advertised with links to solutions offered on opensuse.org as well as solutions from newsgroup used to enrich opensuse wiki.

It is not forbidden to take article from one side to the other, or to use opensuse.org to illustrate the solution for problem found in newsgroups.

Apropos search engines, I'm wondering why are newsgroups opensuse.org excluded from Google groups. One can't be popular and isolated at the same time.

--
Regards,
Rajko.