Re: [opensuse] making the community grow
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:00:15 -0500
jdd wrote:
I think I already drop some words about it, but it's
probably worth making from time to time

I found the active community very short in number.

We should try to find ways to attract users and make some of
them becomming more involved.

may be working on the "community task" page

jdd

Hi Jean,

community task, what would be that?

I agree with you that it is a shortage of active members.
I hope that you remember that I compare very often present openSUSE wiki with startup of Wikipedia. It was pale, until they opened it to public.
I don't think that it was vision, it was desperate try to attract more active editors or sink.

There is not much content outside download, install and report a bug.
I can understand that SUSE guys contributions would be what they do the best, development, but the problem is that SUSE is well polished and attracts more people that rather use computer, than develop programs.

So, community will grow if content would be more "user friendly", but not in twisted way that mean "most clueless user friendly". SUSE users are folk that is trying to escape this kind of "friendliness".

--
Regards,
Rajko.