Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:57:16PM +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> And, precisely, lack of documentation has been a major issue, for example
> - how to create a YaST2 repository (which is still a mess, compared to
> opencarpet or createrepo - I won't mention apt4rpm as I've always
> found that to be way too complex to set up as well)

With 10.0 you can use createrepo for that. I know it does not make a REAL
YaST repository. It makes a workable one. That

> - how to create YOU repositories

As long as it is trictly devided and does not just look at the latest
version. I would hate it if a Packman version would overwrite a SUSE
version of software or the other way around.

> - easy "upgrade" operation in YaST2

That would indeed be very welcome. At this moment I do not even try do do
an upgrade as I see so many problems other people have with only slightly
changed versions. I rather do a new installation and edit that then trust
SUSE with doing everything correct.

Many people ask for it and my advice is
1) Backup
2) Try the upgrade
3) Do a new installation.

The reason so many people ask is because they want to run the latest
version of whatever is available.

houghi