Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:14:30 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Pascal Bleser wrote:

[...]

> > > YaST2 should also get a decent way to update existing packages. This
> > > is currently (as of 10.0) a real pain to do, there's no obvious
> > > option. You have to select "package categories", go to "zzz all",
> > > right click on the right pane, "this list..." -> "update if newer
> > > version available". It's too complex, there should be a single icon
> > > in the YaST2 menu to do that operation in a dedicated way, since
> > > it's what almost every SUSE Linux user is doing, every single day
> > > for many of them.. well, at least those who use 3rd party
> > > repositories like mine, Packman, etc...
> >
> > Offering an update repository (in repomd style + patch infos) should
> > pretty straightforward on 10.1...
>
> Great! Where can I find the documentation about it ?
> - how to generate such repositories, where does the additional data come
> from ?
> - what are the repomd extensions ? schema or DTD ?

I'm afraid to have to tell you, that there isn't much documentation on a
technical level yet :( You'd have to dig into some YaST / libzypp / zmd
packages, to find the answers to your questions. But as we move along, we
will hopefully be able to deliver documentation on this in the future.

> Is it backwards compatible with plain repomd ?

It is, as it's just an extension to what repomd offers out-of-the-box. So
there are some more .xml files (one per patch) and the usual
primary/filelist/other .xml files.

Check out http://download.suse.com/update/10.1/repodata/ for the details.

> > > And while y2pmsh has a "newer" command to show what updates are
> > > available, it doesn't have a "install-newer" (or similar) command,
> > > so you have to specify them yourself from the list shown by "newer".
> > >
> > > "smart update && smart upgrade" is so much easier, it's what I
> > > recommend to everyone.
> >
> > Exactly -- y2pmsh is basically dead, so pushing people into the smart
> > direction is the right thing(tm) ;)
>
> y2pmsh is still well alive for 10.1 atm, unfortunately, because libzypp
> & friends are mostly broken in 10.1RC1 :\ (at least that's what most
> people report on IRC, I for myself currently use y2pmsh for my 10.1RC1
> build chroots)
>
> Which makes me think that... err... once y2pmsh will really be dead
> (i.e. non functional), y2pmbuild must be ported to something else. To
> smart ? Or is there some form of CLI driven package installation tool
> with libzypp ?

y2pmbuild should be fully functional with the BuildRequires expansion
stuff that went into build.rpm -- there is no real need to use y2pmsh,
IIUC.

> > > Doing that with YaST2 would be a much more tedious operation:
> > > - adding 2 installation sources (the GUI should really accept URLs
> > > instead of splitting into "protocol", "server", "directory on
> > > server", what a pain)
> >
> > +1 -- should be fixed for 10.2 ;)
>
> Good :) I guess it should be entered in bugzilla.

Right, if it's not there yet -- or, actually it should be added to some
wiki page on openSUSE.org ;)

Regards
Christoph