Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:19:24 +0200
Am Thursday 20 April 2006 13:23 schrieb Henne Vogelsang:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday, April 20, 2006 at 12:46:23, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> > YaST2 should also get a decent way to update existing packages. This
> > is currently (as of 10.0) a real pain to do, there's no obvious option.
> > You have to select "package categories", go to "zzz all", right click
> > on the right pane, "this list..." -> "update if newer version available".
>
> YaST -> System Update does exactly that...

it does even support changing repositories since 10.0.

> > And while y2pmsh has a "newer" command to show what updates are
> > available, it doesn't have a "install-newer" (or similar) command, so
> > you have to specify them yourself from the list shown by "newer".
>
> y2pmsh
> upgrade
> solve
> commit
>
> > Now, to come back to YOU... The only real added value of YOU is the
> > following additional information:
> > - description of the update
> > - severity (critical, security, minor, ...)
>
> - scripts
> - pre/post install messages

- defined patch sets (no way to do only a partly update and to cause more
trouble)

In general, I do think that we should keep the default updates low as we do
atm. The rational here is that a number of people do already complain about
the needed bandwidth for doing the updates and that changes can also break
things which may be more annoying than a missing fix.

BUT we can also create a "Community SL 10.1 Maintainance" project in the build
service. This one can get integrated via an additional repository in yast and
the update will be possible via YaST or any other YUM compatible updater.

There would the need of a number of people with direct write access to this
project. Others will be able suggest further fixes via their projects for
inclusion into this one. This means a group of people needs to be formed to
decide what to include into that project and what not. Maybe also to create a
policy about that first.

Pascal, you are obviously a good candidate to form such a group ;)

We can hopefully support you soon with the needed infrastructure for this
task ...

mls is working about source linking atm. This means one will be able to link
the sources of apache from SL 10.1 into this project for example. And to add
some patches which fixes the particular issue.

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter