Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:26:56 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, jdd wrote:

> > The YaST Online Update has been used only for security and critical
> > updates in the past -- but there is no technical reason not to use it
> > for other/minor stuff, but we have choosen not to do this in the past.
> > This has been discussed many times on this list, so please let's try
> > not to get into this again now.
>
> I quoted on an other mail (sorry, I have not it at hand) that anybody
> can see in YOU three levels of colors, with "optional" patches.
>
> right now I see "SuSE Kde extensions" (SuSE written that way
> :-) "This update fixes problems with buttons being swapped
> in QMessageBoxes when the Qt/KDE integration is enabled."
>
> this don't seems security related
>
> but this is minor; it's easy to find solutions

Ok, I should have phrased it like this: "... we have choosen to release
other/optional/minor updates as an exception only." However, with the
power of the openSUSE build service, we as a community might come to the
conclusion that it actually makes sense to create a repository with fixed
packages that covers all those littel bugs and glitches that you find
while using the distribution. But it should be obvious, that something
like this needs quite an effort by the community.

Regards
Christoph

< Previous Next >