Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:23:05 +0200
jdd wrote:

> Idea is: do you think community users can be part of the
> debugging that Novell employees can't do? if yes, then the
> methos will follow.

I try to think of solutions.

* One of the problems about _translation_ or simply _typos_
in yast is the difficulty to identify the screen involved.

*could it be possible to have a screen number on a corner,
or by the way a unique screen title? (with anywhere an index?)

there are not so many errors, and they are not blockers, but
this gives a bad feeling :-)

*may be we should slowdown and have a worked stable, a
working unstable and a dev one like debian. Debian is too
slow, but SUSE is too fast :-)

*I already tried to identify what yast module do what to
look at the sources. It's really difficult. any doc?

*why is Yast so bad documented? I use SUSE now for nearly 10
years an they are still options I don't know what they are
for...

*why is there already a sysconfig editor? is it so difficult
to write standard modules to do the job?

*The left column for help is a great idea. why is it so
poorly used?

*each yast page should have a help counterpart with comment
for each name and option

*but to acheive this yast should not be rewritten for each
version. choose a layout and add page but don't change the
old ones. even the options order change!

*openup the layout team, there the community can help

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net