Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:04:00 +0200
houghi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 02:41:11PM +0200, jdd wrote:
>> what do you think of the idea (the setup is to be discussed
>> after if necessary)
>
> Say I find a spellingserror in SUSE 9.2. How do you propose that
> information is going to the users?
> It is not a security issue, so it won't be done by YOU.

YOU allows all king of updates, not only security, this is a
user choice.

> So what good would it be to do this?
>
> Even worse for versions that are no longer in the security period (or how
> to call those two years). Say I find something and the solution for a 6.4
> issue. How should I reach the users?

may be we won't go back so far :-)

> Not via YOU. Not via any SUSE or Novell channel.

why not any SUSE??? and openSUSE??? why not an "update"
openSUSE page?

> in their policy. Security updates for 2 years.

I have problems now with 10.0, far inside the 2 years limit.
and this don't seem to be fixed neither.

> Sometimes major issues are also done, but by and large nothing else and
> especially not for unsuported versions.
>
> It would send a very confusing message to the users if you say on one
> hand, we only do security updates and only support for 2 years and on the
> other hand give them spellings corrections and updates for older version.

no. We can update Yast (anyway, yast is the only SUSE
visible products, all the rest have others maintainers).

> For existing bugs, there is Bugzilla that can be used to post solutions as
> well.

? only patches available simply, that is pretty rare

> So in general, I think it is a bad idea, sorry.

I think you are discussing methods, not ideas.

Idea is: do you think community users can be part of the
debugging that Novell employees can't do? if yes, then the
methos will follow.

emergency is for stable distribution, problem in previous
ones should be very rare.

may be SUSE is getting too fast, but the 10.0 if full of
bugs, even annoying ones, 10.1 is quite bad on this respect
as the RC1 don't works at all for some install options and
this is not good.

It really upset me to see typos in Yast I could correct in
10 seconds with the good interface staying there for age.

may I write a wiki page saying "in this page there is a bug,
but it wont be fixed"?

I would like Novell programmers concentrate to bugs I can't
fix (there are enough :-()

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net