Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 02:41:11PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> what do you think of the idea (the setup is to be discussed
> after if necessary)

Say I find a spellingserror in SUSE 9.2. How do you propose that
information is going to the users?
It is not a security issue, so it won't be done by YOU.
So what good would it be to do this?

Even worse for versions that are no longer in the security period (or how
to call those two years). Say I find something and the solution for a 6.4
issue. How should I reach the users?

Not via YOU. Not via any SUSE or Novell channel.

I understand your eagerness to keep old hardware running on SUSE. I am
just afraid that it is not going to happen. SUSE is, I think, very clear
in their policy. Security updates for 2 years.
Sometimes major issues are also done, but by and large nothing else and
especially not for unsuported versions.

It would send a very confusing message to the users if you say on one
hand, we only do security updates and only support for 2 years and on the
other hand give them spellings corrections and updates for older version.

What could be done is that you make your own website where people can
point their YOU and get all the patched you made for any version you like.

For existing bugs, there is Bugzilla that can be used to post solutions as
well.

So in general, I think it is a bad idea, sorry.

houghi