Problem with Samsung SyncMaster 172T on Suse 10.1 RC1
  • From: "Anand Rangarajan" <suseanand@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:42:44 -0400
I downloaded and installed SUSE 10.1 RC1 on an x86 system (EPOX 8K7A
motherboard, AMD Athlon 1.3GHz, 1GB DDR 2100 memory, Adapetc SCSI
controller, Samsung SyncMaster 172T LCD, nVidia Quadro2 Pro videocard with
64MB memory, Netgear gigabit ethernet).

Installation went smoothly except for the usual idiotic weirdness of the
reboot in the middle with no suggestion of what to do when the machine
reboots. I've seen a couple of newbies get completely flustered when the
system reboots. On three separate occasions, I've seen them run the
installation again since they think something has gone wrong. The Samsung
SyncMaster 172T monitor was correctly detected and X11 was configured during
the installation.

After the machine rebooted, I had a functioning system with X11, networking
etc. working fine. However, when I switched off the system and rebooted a
second time, X11 hangs. Since the machine automatically goes into X11, I
have not been able to extract the xorg.conf file to see what's going on. I
cannot login to the system from elsewhere since I had not set up ssh to do
that yet.

Assuming that there could be a problem with the xorg.conf file for the
Samsung SyncMaster 172T LCD, I've attached a CURRENT WORKING xorg.conf file
from my main machine which is running SUSE 9.3 Pro. The current working
xorg.conf file is based on the closed source nVidia driver.

Anand