Re: [opensuse] Problem With Sendmail in 10.1 Beta 5 and Beta 9
  • From: Scott Alan Chaffin <sac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:02:26 -0500 (CDT)
> On Monday 17 April 2006 14:10, Scott Alan Chaffin wrote:
> > When installing sendmail (instead of postfix) in the default location of
> > /usr/sbin/sendmail, the mail daemon doesn't start, only the queue
> > handler. Attempting to start the daemon by hand results in the
> > following error:
> >
> > huron:/usr/sbin # ./sendmail -bD -q15m
> > 451 4.0.0 opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: cannot bind: Permission denied
> > 421 4.0.0 opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting
> > huron:/usr/sbin #
> >
> > When I move the sendmail binary to /usr/lib and make a symbolic link to
> > /usr/sbin, it starts as expected, both on the command line and in the
> > /etc/init.d/sendmail script.
> >
> > It's only a minor inconvenience to start things this way, but it is an
> > inconvenience. I suspect that this is related to some sort of enhanced
> > security on /usr/sbin. The file system is reiserfs.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to rectify this condition?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott
> Hello there Scott,
>
> When I run the command:
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -bD -q15m
> I get "sendmail: fatal: unsupported: -bD"
>
> However, when I run "./sendmail -bd -q15m", it works.
>
> Was -bD a typo? And, can you upgrade to Suse 10.1 RC1? I was able to do so
> using "smart"
>
> good luck to you pal,
> Tim

Tim,

I think this might be because you have a default install and
/usr/sbin/sendmail is actually postfix in disguise. I had to install
sendmail as a separate package--deleting postfix and changing the
default mail program to sendmail. (I'm running sendmail because I'm
familiar and comfortable with it.)

The -bD runs sendmail as a daemon, but doesn't run it in the background--
all errors go to stderr instead of the system log. I don't think that
postfix supports this flag.

Thanks,

Scott