Problem With Sendmail in 10.1 Beta 5 and Beta 9
  • From: Scott Alan Chaffin <sac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:10:24 -0500 (CDT)
When installing sendmail (instead of postfix) in the default location of
/usr/sbin/sendmail, the mail daemon doesn't start, only the queue
handler. Attempting to start the daemon by hand results in the
following error:

huron:/usr/sbin # ./sendmail -bD -q15m
451 4.0.0 opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: cannot bind: Permission denied
421 4.0.0 opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting
huron:/usr/sbin #

When I move the sendmail binary to /usr/lib and make a symbolic link to
/usr/sbin, it starts as expected, both on the command line and in the
/etc/init.d/sendmail script.

It's only a minor inconvenience to start things this way, but it is an
inconvenience. I suspect that this is related to some sort of enhanced
security on /usr/sbin. The file system is reiserfs.

Does anyone know how to rectify this condition?

Thanks,

Scott

< Previous Next >