Re: [opensuse] SUSE version naming
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 01:58:45PM +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> > I beg to differ. First I would like to hear what the decision process is.
>
> For what ?

Currisosity.

> You assume marketing and sales has to do with a process.
> That's a wrong assumption IMO ;)

That is what other people are telling. I do not know, that is why I ask.

> > Just saying 'oh, we can't change is' is not something I am just accepting
> > like that. I will accept it when somebody from SUSE (or Novell Marketing)
> > tells me that THEY decide and not us and that we have no say in it.
>
> It's like that, because it's 100% marketing in my experience:

This contracticts what you said above.

> > So what is the decision making here? Just look at the competition and then
> > follow them? Is it all 100% marketing, or is there some technical choice
> > as well. If it is all marketing, why do we not have SUSE Linux 11.0?
>
> Because it's SLES 10 and SLED 10, I guess.

Well, why do not have a SLES and SLED 11 then? (You must have seen that
one comming from a mile away)

The question is very simple. Who decides on version numbering and why is
it done in the way it is done in the past.

houghi