Successfully updated via "smart"
  • From: Tim Harper <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:10:28 -0600
Hey everyone,

I don't know exactly what version I upgaded to, but I was able to upgrade my
packages to the latest version at:
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/

via smart. What I did was I added a Yast2 repository to smart, with the above
URL, and I updated it. It took about 4 hours, and downloaded about a gig of
packages, but it worked. One thing interesting to note is that it didn't
work to upgrade with Yum, but Smart was "smart" enough to figure out that it
needed to downgrade a package or two (pilot link) to meet all dependencies.

From what I can tell, quite a few bugs have been fixed, however it broke my
WPA connectivity with knetworkmanager. It wasn't able to connect any more,
so I was able to remove the packages and reinstall NetworkManager and
knetworkmanager, wpa_supplicant and friends from again, and all worked fine
and dandy.

So as far as I can tell so far, it is possible to upgrade via Smart :)

Thanks Pascal Bleser for the tip on trying out smart. It's my new favorite
package manager... it does everything right that I had always griped about
yum.

This is probably a big big dirty hack? If I'm doing something incredibly
wrong, someone please advise me.

Tim

< Previous Next >