Re: [opensuse] Can someone explain SLICK
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:20:23 +0200

jdd wrote:
> Pascal Bleser wrote:
>
>> smart comes at the expense of using a lot of memory though, as it loads
>> a lot of repository metadata to be so "smart".
>
> is that to say that the awfull time lost at each launch
> "refreshing the source" is even longer? I hate this.

No, smart starts up faster than YaST2 here.
It only has to load the (local) repository metadata.

smart does not refresh sources automatically.
You have to tell smart to refresh them explicitely by calling
smart update
(in a similar fashion to apt-get, where you also have to explicitely
call apt-get update)

So that's also something you can put into a cronjob, to update the
channels (= repositories in smart-talk) once or twice a day.

Note that the same can be achieved with YaST2, but needs some trickery,
because neither YaST2 nor y2pmsh have an "update" operation that
refreshes all sources:
http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2005/11/script-to-refresh-yast2-installation.html

>> Let me pick one example: smart never, ever has to prompt the user to do
>> the right thing, in order to resolve conflicts or dependencies.
>
> ? I agree that at first time install no questions should be
> asked, but afterward I often don't answer by the default
> one, how can smart know what I want?

Because it has a very good dependency resolver and tries hard to always
do the right thing.

When you say
smart upgrade kde*
it will do its best to upgrade all kde* packages with the latest
available version, and propose operations. You can then confirm with
"commit" (similar to y2psh).

If you don't believe me, try it ;)
http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=System/smart

cheers