Re: [opensuse] Can someone explain SLICK
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:38:14 +0200

houghi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:06:20PM +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
>>> It only works for 10.0 and onwards, I think.
>> As far as YaST2 is concerned, yes.
>> But it works with yum and smart, even on older SUSE versions.
>
> Thanks for the correction. As I have always used YaST to my full
> satisfaction (and problems with apt) I never realy had the need to try
> anything else. This is the fault of the SUSE people who make a too good
> product. ;-)

Umm.. well.. I have to say that the yast2 package management engine
sucks compared to smart.

smart comes at the expense of using a lot of memory though, as it loads
a lot of repository metadata to be so "smart".

Let me pick one example: smart never, ever has to prompt the user to do
the right thing, in order to resolve conflicts or dependencies.

cheers
- --