Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:06:35PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> one should add the reason why he use one or the other.
>
> I use rsync because I don't bother to keep all the obsolete
> versions
> I have big files adited often or small files edited...

If the large files are realy large files and they indeed change between
every update, then I would use rsync for those. However I would see that
e.g system settings and the majoruity of the files I do not change on a
daily basis will be done by an other way as backup.

I have done the backup way with rsync and had the situiation where the
backup was useless, because it contained the same problem as the original
file.

> the reason why one app is used by one people and not by the
> others

A list why someone uses one program and another uses another is not
something I think is worth a web page. There are several hundred backup
programs and scripts around and each has its own users.

> > I don't call that something worth of spending a page on.
>
> if it's worth several mails, it's probably worth a page :-)

They are two different mediums. During these mailings you can change
ideas. See above. A list of programs that can be used for backup can be
done by explaining how a searchengine works.

> I think thinking
> > about SLICK and SUPER is more important. (see other thread in Wiki and
> > Factory)
>
> completely different beast, may be o no importance if 10.1
> 1cd install is proved...

1CD install will not have KDE or Gnome. There you need CD1-3. I know it is
different. I think it is just more importand to spend my time on the 1-CD
page then on a page with a list of backup programs and the reason why
somebody uses it. That last page can only seriously be written by somebody
who tries them all in different situaltions.

houghi