Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:27:25 +0200
houghi wrote:

>> the only way I keep using is writing cd/dvd (directly
>> readable). I use others things also, but with little luck, so...
>
> How do you do that? Do you use a script, or do you just copy stuff there?
>
>> and I keep a tree with a size consistent with the support size
>
> Not sure what you mean here.

I manage my /home tree to have sections of size smaller than
the dvd, so I can burn them directly.

For my photo collection (10Gb), I burn periodically the last
4Gb of them. even if only 1Gb was not yet saved. So a large
part of the files are on many supports.

cd/dvd are cheap (www.nierle.de :-), so better make more
than one copy.

and as soon as a new support become cheap I copy all my
collection o it. I have images of floppies on cd, copies of
cd on dvd...

You have also to balance the cost of backup and the interest
of the data. I backup the most videos and phots.

The major problem (not solved) is how to backup applications
data. Autocad files from 10 years ago are no more readable
(I have no more autocad licences...)

and cd are a curious beast. some fail as soon as writen,
others last for ever (and that despite the brand). count
however a 3-4% bad after one year - not a problem if you
have two copies.

and beware where you store the backups... fire and water are
the ennemies :-(

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net