Can someone explain SLICK
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:20:30 -0700
Hi!

While waiting for the next SUSE release, I came accross SLICK. Can
someone explain to me what it actually is? Yes, I read the web-pages.

I got the idea that it is a SUSE linux that never needs update -
thanks to Kynaptic.

So is this the last version ever? I mean, there is no actual versions
of SLICK, or? If there were, what would/will be the difference?

Next obvious question is... why would anybody choose any other SUSE
version than SLICK?
Ok, perhaps companies or institutions who want to standardize. But
home users... the biggest problem with SUSE has been that you need to
reinstall everything when you want the versions of something (for
instance, some small application that happens to need newer KDE).

Next question is: how do YaST and YOU relate to kynaptic? Does
kynaptic provide nightly security batches? Or does YOU still provide
them? But doesn't YOU get it wrong as one could have used kynaptic to
get totally different versions of software? Or is this something that
needs to be done manually?

Last question, would this be _the_ version to install to a laptop that
doesn't have a CD drive (and therefore all SUSE updates are a pain..)?
I presume this can be installed with floppies and network?

--
HG.