Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:32:48 +0200
of course I can't answer for Suse :-)

But AFAIK, backup is a matter of taste.

It's also a matter of content. How should you maintain the
backup of one of our ftp mirror? do you need to have
immediate access to the backed data? do you need to backup
_all_ the content of your disk? or only the /home?

How much money can you afford?

as an example, I took a 300Gb USB hard drive recently. On my
first attenpt to copy to it my data (with Konqueror :-!!), I
_deleted_ the original... I had all the files, but zeroed...
don't even file a bug report for I couldn't understand how I
did :-(. The most important data was already backed
elsewhere (but not all)

that is only to say: think backup, think also mostly
restoration. Probably tar is the most solid application...
and use various supports.

said this, if you have an universal solution, I will try it
:-)))

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net