Re: [opensuse] Re: Sun X2100 (nv)ethernet problem with SUSE 10.0
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:46:07 +0200
Peter Nixon schrieb:
> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 16:59, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Peter Nixon schrieb:
>>
>>>We have a bunch of Sun X2100 opteron servers running SUSE 10.0 and one of
>>>them magically stopped responding to network requests in the middle of
>>>the night (after operating perfectly for 1 month). A power down solved
>>>the problem, however a simple reboot did not! The log messages are below.
>>>
>>>Apr 3 11:42:56 server kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
>>>Is anyone else have problems with the nv ethernet interface on their
>>>X2100 servers (and USB keyboards)?
>>
>>Known problem, a fix is in the works. Note: All versions except SUSE Linux
>>10.0 do not have this bug. However, to not break anything, a simple
>>down-/upgrade of the driver is not possible.
>
> So what is the workaround/fix?

Still investigating. Downgrading the driver breaks support for some chipsets,
upgrading the driver to a halfway recent version has other risks (new bugs).
I'm favoring a downgrade, but that will affect exactly those users who
need the bugfix most. So that's not really an option. forcedeth from Linux
2.6.15 may be a safe choice.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--