Re: [opensuse] 10.1 Beta 9 uses too high refresh for 1280x1024 LCD
  • From: Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:34:35 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Mark Gray wrote:

> Steffen Winterfeldt writes:

> >> The computer is an HP also -- you'd think the BIOS would know better.
> >> When I encountered the problem with 10.0 there were a lot of hits for
> >> the same problem on google, so some sort of warning might save some
> >> installation support calls.
>
> > How should I warn? The BIOS doesn't tell the timing it chooses. Neither
> > before nor after a video mode change.
>
> How does the installer know it is a monitor capable of 1280x1024 in
> the first place? DDC? If so, this monitor can also communicate its
> "best" refresh for that resolution. I think the problem could have
> something to do with confusion over whether it is a CRT or LCD monitor
> because it is difficult to get sax2 to generate a good modeline for
> it, and it looks like that is because it is confusing it with a CRT
> monitor with a similar model number. (But this is just a guess by
> someone too busy to look closer at the problem.)

No, the problem is the other way around. :-)

Your monitor is properly detected. Just your BIOS does not care. And, as I
wrote, you have _no influence whatsoever_ on the timing the BIOS is going
to use.

> In any case, monitors which can do interlaced video are becoming rare
> according to www.hwupgrade.com, so using it is probably asking for
> trouble in the first place.

_I_ know. You do. Your Video BIOS manufacturer disagrees.

> >From looking on google this is not an isolated problem. Hiding the
> default resolution chosen for the installation behind the F3 "other
> options" button probably is asking for trouble for new users who have
> not installed SUSE dozens of times already. (I have an older monitor
> which "lies" about how well it can do resolutions above 1024x768, so I
> have a long experience with changing resolution during install -- but
> in its case it will display up to 1600x1200, but just too fuzzily to
> put up with.)

Sigh. :-(

I wasn't happy with hiding the resolution for exactly the reason you named.

The good news is that 'other options' will be gone in 10.2 (it's already in
SLES10); it was just too late to adjust the docs.

> As an aside, Fedora Core 5 defaults to 800x600 for the install (ugly
> as sin, but foolproof.) Perhaps defaulting to a more conservative
> resolution and refresh would save your installation support staff some
> money?

It _does_ default to a lower resolution. But your monitor is detected and
says it can do 1280x1024. So it goes for it. That your BIOS lives on the moon
and selects 43Hz interlaced for that mode is, well, unfortunate but can't be
helped.

Steffen