Re: [opensuse] 10.1 Beta 9 uses too high refresh for 1280x1024 LCD
  • From: Mark Gray <markgray-aka-nan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 04 Apr 2006 10:38:03 -0400
Steffen Winterfeldt writes:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Mark Gray wrote:
>
>> Steffen Winterfeldt writes:

>>> This is 43Hz interlaced (!). Not much to do about it, the BIOS picks
>>> the timing.

>> The computer is an HP also -- you'd think the BIOS would know better.
>> When I encountered the problem with 10.0 there were a lot of hits for
>> the same problem on google, so some sort of warning might save some
>> installation support calls.

> How should I warn? The BIOS doesn't tell the timing it chooses. Neither
> before nor after a video mode change.

How does the installer know it is a monitor capable of 1280x1024 in
the first place? DDC? If so, this monitor can also communicate its
"best" refresh for that resolution. I think the problem could have
something to do with confusion over whether it is a CRT or LCD monitor
because it is difficult to get sax2 to generate a good modeline for
it, and it looks like that is because it is confusing it with a CRT
monitor with a similar model number. (But this is just a guess by
someone too busy to look closer at the problem.)

In any case, monitors which can do interlaced video are becoming rare
according to www.hwupgrade.com, so using it is probably asking for
trouble in the first place.

>From looking on google this is not an isolated problem. Hiding the
default resolution chosen for the installation behind the F3 "other
options" button probably is asking for trouble for new users who have
not installed SUSE dozens of times already. (I have an older monitor
which "lies" about how well it can do resolutions above 1024x768, so I
have a long experience with changing resolution during install -- but
in its case it will display up to 1600x1200, but just too fuzzily to
put up with.)

As an aside, Fedora Core 5 defaults to 800x600 for the install (ugly
as sin, but foolproof.) Perhaps defaulting to a more conservative
resolution and refresh would save your installation support staff some
money?