Re: [opensuse] 10.0 floppies
  • From: Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:38:56 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, jdd wrote:

> Hello :-)
>
> SUSE Linux used to offer floppies images on the /boot
> directory of the first disk.
>
> these images couls be made from linux or from Windows. There
> where a windows start app on the first cd and inserting it
> in a windows machine gave the choice of booting linux (the
> cd) or making floppies.
>
> this is no more available (10.0).

They are. On ftp.suse.com.

> There is a perl utility (mkbootdisk) that build the (7)
> floppies.
>
> so:
>
> * where are the floppies images? Looks like they are cat'ed

They are created by that script you mentioned. Pre-build versions for 10.0
are on our ftp server.

> (on the "rescue" 21Mb file?) - how are they built with the
> script, reading it didn't gave me enough clues,
>
> * if so why does rawrite still exist in the cd? don't seem
> anymore usefull. (perl is not that usual on windows :-)

Download the images and burn them. If you think that's too esoteric: we
usually forget to put out pre-build floppy images and are reminded by
customers asking our supporters. :-)

> * what is the real + in this system? are the 64 bits
> floppies so similar to 32 one is enough to change just some
> bits?

???

You can create 32 and 64 bit images (or bi-arch, if you really have that
many floppies).

Steffen