Re: [opensuse] 10.1 Beta 9 uses too high refresh for 1280x1024 LCD
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:41:40 +0200
Mark Gray schrieb:
> Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Mark Gray wrote:
>>
>>>This is the same thing that happened when I installed SUSE-10.0 boxed
>>>set on this machine -- when starting the install using the default
>>>1280x1024 resolution, the installer uses too high a refresh rate for
>>>my brand new HP vs17e LCD monitor H: 46.4 kHz V: 87Hz. The best
>
>>This is 43Hz interlaced (!). Not much to do about it, the BIOS picks
>>the timing.
>
> The computer is an HP also -- you'd think the BIOS would know better.
> When I encountered the problem with 10.0 there were a lot of hits for
> the same problem on google, so some sort of warning might save some
> installation support calls.

Going the other way... mandating a minimum horizontal frequency to get
rid of interlaced modes might help, but as long as the BIOS picks the
timing, you have no chance. BIOS writers usually fix incorrect behaviour
by adding more incorrect behaviour in the hope the effects will
compensate each other. And getting fixes for BIOS bugs is impossible
unless you hold the CEO of the mainboard vendor as hostage (or if you
are employed by a three-letter agency).

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--