Re: [SLE] "Fun" with X
  • From: bernd <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:37:07 -0800
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 15:26, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 16:49, bernd wrote:
> > As I said sax2 suggested settings are the only way I have found
> > to get 1280x1024 back, yet without 3d enabled, or correct
> > settings for my mouse, keyboard, or VNC.
> >
> > Further Thoughts???
>
> Hi Bernd,
>
> How does 3D fit into this effort? I thought the problem we were
> working on was getting the on-board Intel graphics working with the
> display without killing your keyboard and mouse?
>
> Have you tried 'tweaking' settings in the BIOS related to the
> graphics subsystem? (Like possibly bumping up the shared video
> memory?) Can you manually toggle and test between AGP and PCI
> graphics in the BIOS? And/or turn one of them off?
>
> Have you done any research to see if that mainboard and/or chipset
> is even supported?

Wanting to enable 3D was where it all began. As soon as I opened up
sax2, and before I touched anything (really!), I got the error
message about "...NoDDC..."

The only thing I can do in BIOS is to tweak the vid memory. The BIOS
default is maxed at 8MB.

SuSE hardware database shows the Intel I915G fully supported for 9.3;
Xorg with 3D using the i810 driver.

I'm posting on the boards at Dell to find out if there are any other
linux users that found the same problem. It's my understanding that
their business support people are familiar with Redhat, and so I may
find common ground. I'll be calling tomorrow.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted, and if you can think of anything else
to try, please let me know.

Can I directly edit Xorg or XF86Conf without pain? It says in the
comments at the beginning of the files not to, because they are Sax2
generated files.

Bernd