Re: [SLE] Question about 'net connection/sharing
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 06:38:07 -0500
JB wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 23:14, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 1/31/06 11:20 PM, "JB" <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> My girlfriend recently got satellite internet. Her daughter of course
>>> needs to use it also (as will I soon).
>>> I thought a router would be the thing to use for all 3 of us to hook
>>> into to use the 'net, but a friend here said a hub/switch will be just
>>> fine. Which is better? Which would allow all 3 of us to be 'online' at
>>> the same time the best (meaning, which/what would try to even out the
>>> bandwidth we use if all 3 of us were online at one time?)? Is the switch
>>> good enough? It seems to be working well enough for the two of them as it
>>> is, but I'm just curious if there's something that might be any better.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JB
>> There is a big difference in a hub, a router, and a switch.
>>
>> A hub shares the bandwidth with each computer connected. (the more
>> computers connected, the slower each is.)
>>
>> A switch gives each computer the full 100Bt connection speed. (or what ever
>> your network is.)
>>
>> A router* does just what the name implies.
>>
>> *Some routers have a 5 or 8 switch built in...
>>

>> What you want is a switch. They are very, very cheap nowadays.
>> (think "down the road"...get a gigabit switch)
>> $20 such as:
>> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313920&pfp=ca
>> t 3
>>
>> Now, after all that's said, I don't think you will notice any speed
>> difference in just sharing the satellite connection with not going gigabit.
>> ;)
>> The speed can't be THAT fast... It just makes more sense ($) to get a
>> gigabit if you are going to buy something.
>
> Perfect! I IM'd her to check what it was I got and it's a switch. So looks
> like we'll be okay.
> Thanks for the input! It really made my year!

You appear to have received some misinformation above. All 3 devices
will share the bandwidth from the satellite link. Functionally, in this
situation there is no difference between a switch and a hub. They both
connect multiple devices. A so called "router" allows one IP address to
be assigned by the ISP and used by all computers. Neither a switch nor
hub will do that. If you have only one IP address, a switch or hub will
not suffice. A router uses port and address translation, to make all
computers appear as one, to the ISP, so that a single IP address can be
shared by multiple computers.

< Previous Next >