Re: [SLE] Question about 'net connection/sharing
  • From: Alan Dowley <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 07:18:23 -0600

Paul Alfille wrote:
On Wednesday 01 February 2006 12:14 am, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:
On 1/31/06 11:20 PM, "JB" <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi gang,

My girlfriend recently got satellite internet. Her daughter of course
needs to use it also (as will I soon).
I thought a router would be the thing to use for all 3 of us to hook
into to use the 'net, but a friend here said a hub/switch will be just
fine. Which is better? Which would allow all 3 of us to be 'online' at
the same time the best (meaning, which/what would try to even out the
bandwidth we use if all 3 of us were online at one time?)? Is the switch
good enough? It seems to be working well enough for the two of them as it
is, but I'm just curious if there's something that might be any better.

I use a Linksys 54G wireless router (4 port) and have the modem authenticate my internet connection using PoPPE.
With this set up I have had 3 desktop computers and 2 laptop (wireless) running at the same time with no depreciation in connection speed.

HTH

Alan

< Previous Next >