Re: [SLE] Picking a partition for windows in Vmware
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 06:19:16 -0800 (PST)

Well, it _can_ use the partition, provided the partition is on a
favored disk type (specifically _not_ SATA, not sure what the other
restrictions are).

But: 1) this isn't the "normal" mode of operation, you wouldn't do it
that way unless you also want to be able to boot natively from that
partition, or perhaps if the partition was pre-existing. 2) You don't
install Windows from VMWare if you use a physical partition, you
install it directly, and then kinda "import" the whole partition into
VMWare.

If you really want to do this, look up "physical" as in "physical
device" or "physical partition" on VMWare's help site. (I abandoned it
when I discovered my original windows install was on an unsupportable
SATA drive--I'm now _more_ than happy with the normal install types
(which, btw, use a dynamically allocated filespace for the virtual
partition, so are much smaller).

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz