Re: [SLE] Session management error
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:19:55 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2006-02-01 at 18:36 -0500, Carl Hartung wrote:

> > I've thrown a couple of tarballs in (without problem ...)
>
> I suggest you look into 'checkinstall,' which comes with the distribution. It
> can be used to build rpm packages from tarballs, so you can remove the
> software with YaST (or CLI rpm) if it breaks your system.

I concur :-)

> > I'm really troubled by your "... moved to 10.0 from 9.3, ..." comment.
>
> The more familiar you are with SUSE, the easier it is to *upgrade* from one
> release to the next. I've done it both ways and, IMHO, the "fresh" installs
> are a lot less work.

I rather find the contrary is true, updates are less work for me... :-p

It depends a lot on each case, I suppose.

By the way, if you have a number of localized rpms, it is not a bad idea
to have /usr/local in a different partition - same reason as for /home.

Also, I believe a full backup previous to either update or new install
is mandatory. Should be.

> You also might consider keeping a 'lab book' handy to record and keep notes on
> all your customizations. You'll outgrow the need for it in short order, if
> your present progress is any indication. :-)

Yes! Notes are very handy for future reference, it is easy to forget that
obscure one line configuration change that made all the difference!

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >