Re: [SLE] How to move installation to another disk (inside same computer)?
  • From: Catimimi <catimimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:38:31 +0100
HG a écrit :
Hello!

I have 10.0 installed on a large (but old) disk. Now I have another
same sized disk and a (old) smaller disk as well. What I'd like to do
is to move the installation from current drive to the smaller drive
and then set up the 2 large drives with mirroring (for data).

The guestion is, how can I move everything from one disk to another
when they are of different sizes? (Equivalent of what Norton Ghost
does I guess.) I think dd only works with same sized disks, right?

I'm thinking that I should create partitions on the new smaller drive.
Boot with SuSE-live (or knoppix) and then as root, just "cp *" from
old partitions to the new ones. And then physically move the disks
around inside the computer. But I do not think that the new disk would
boot. So I still need to... what, boot the SUSE installation and let
that try to fix the installation, or? There must be a easier way...

--
HG.

Hello,

1° - With linux copy the content of your disk to the new one, it is not necessary to
have the same size for partitions.
2° - Modify menu.lst (if you use grub) and fstab in order to point to your new disk partitions.
3° - Boot from your DVD or CD and go to "boot the installed system"
4° - when booted run "grub-install /dev/sdx or hdx" according to where you want to install the MBR

and it will run. I did it a lot of times.

Michel.