problem with NFS? OR problem with firewall?
  • From: Jonathan Brooks <jonathan.brooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:31:32 +0000
Hi,

I've got a problem with NFS that appears to only affect AMD64 machines,
i.e. those running 64 bit linux.

Everytime these boxes boot up and try to mount NFS drives from our SLES9
server, they are presented with "Server reports TCP unavailable,
reverting to UDP". Whilst on other occasions I see a message saying that
"NFSv3 is not available".

So the first question: is this a problem with configuration of the
firewall on the server? Does it matter whether NFS uses TCP or UDP? (I'm
no networking expert)

On booting up, the 64 bit clients present you with the login page, but
users (whose home dirs are on the NFS mounted drives) are unable to
login, because the NFS mount commands have been backgrounded. I either
have to leave the machine for 10 minutes, before trying to login, or log
in as root and issue the command (mount -vat nfs).

Second question: why is the initial connection to the server so slow.

The next problem is that whenever I try to copy a large file from the
NFS mounted home dir to a local disk, the performance is abysmal. I.e.
it took 5 minutes to copy a 100Mb file.

Last question: what could be affecting the performance of NFS to make it
practically unusable on 64 bit linux, but absolutely fine on 32 bit
machines.

Before you ask me to: I've already posted on suse-amd64, but had no
response ;)

Best wishes,

Jon.
--