Re: [SLE] Converting my son - printing -continued
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:58:14 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 1 22:27 Bob S wrote (shortened):
> Went to the Brother site and found an rpm for SuSE.
> Found out you must run it on LPD.
> ... so we installed that and that uninstalled half of CUPS.
> Yast now configures and installs the printer

Not possible with Suse Linux 9.2, see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/08/jsmeix_print-einrichten-92.html
"LPRng/lpdfilter can no longer be configured with YaST."
and
"To switch from CUPS to LPRng/lpdfilter:"

> It says,
> '"Ensure that the :LP line reads as follows. :LP=/dev/USB/lp0 "

Edit /etc/printcap manually.

Perhaps it helps to set up a dummy queue with "lprsetup" and edit
/etc/printcap then but it may also be totally wrong for this
driver software from the printer manufacturer what "lprsetup"
had set up.

Doesn't this software from the printer manufacturer provide
a good information or perhaps even a tool to set up a queue
for their printer driver software?

When you use software from the printer manufacturer, you should
ask the printer manufacturer how to set up and use their software.

In general see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2000/08/jsmeix_print-kompatibel.html
and
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/10/jsmeix_scanner-setup-92.html