Re: [SLE] Session management error
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:30:35 -0500
On Thursday 02 February 2006 07:19, Carlos E. R. wrote:
<snip>
> I rather find the contrary is true, updates are less work for me... :-p
>
> It depends a lot on each case, I suppose.

It depends on how customized one's system has become. I know from your posts,
Carlos, that you have a *lot* more time and work invested in configuring
services on your system that I don't use. I mostly add software and that's
not too difficult to keep track of.

> By the way, if you have a number of localized rpms, it is not a bad idea
> to have /usr/local in a different partition - same reason as for /home.

This is an excellent idea that I plan to postpone for as long as possible. :-)
I'm so busy using the system now I don't have time to "tinker."

> Also, I believe a full backup previous to either update or new install
> is mandatory. Should be.

Definitely worth the time in your case. I get by with backing up my data,
since I can bring that into any fresh install regardless of version. So, this
is another area where differences are rational.

Thanks for your input, Carlos!

- Carl

< Previous Next >