Re: [SLE] maximum nproc value
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:40:00 +0100
Michael Green wrote:

> Now suppose I run a fork bomb, the machine will die right away. Why?
> Cannot modern dual cpu computer handle a little more than 999
> processes?

Depends on the config. I have a 4-way IBM Netfinity with 2 Gb RAM -
this will do at least 700 processes whilst compiling the Linux kernel.
999 processes seem like a lot for a 2-way machine - depending on what
those processes do. Does your machine really die right away? Have you
got enough swap-space and memory?
Mind you, even when an IBM 3090-400J was a very big iron (1989/90),
rumour had that 400 TSO users hitting Enter at the same time would
bring it to its knees.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich