Re[2]: [SLE] Mainboard selection
  • From: Roland Turcan <konf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 20:49:16 +0100
<<< 2.2.2006 20:43 - BandiPat "penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" >>>
B> On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:27, Roland Turcan wrote:
>> Hello suse-linux-e!
>>
>> I am thinking about buy this mainboard and CPU:
>>
>> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 64bit. soc.939
>> MB Microstar K8N nWidia nForce NF3
>>
>> I am not sure if still SuSE 9.2 is not able to support south brigde
>> of this board. I was trying to build similar computer in October 2005
>> and I had to change to board who support AMD processor with socket
>> 754, because network adapter didn't work and as I remember that USB
>> had problems too.
>>
>> Maybe you take me question, that why I don't want SuSE 10.0, but the
>> reason is, that I have got very bad experiences with running Kylix 3
>> Pro on Linux kernel 2.6.11=>. On 9.2 it works.
>>
>> I woun't buy it if it won't work corretly for me.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, TRoland
>> http://www.rotursoft.sk
>> http://exekutor.rotursoft.sk
B> ============
B> Roland
B> I'm thinking you should look at a motherboard with the nForce 4 chipset
B> rather than the 3. Seems to me there were several problems regarding
B> the 3, which wasn't around long before nVidia came out with the 4,
B> which is much better. Better supported, more reliable. Anyway, why
B> settle for outdated when you can get the newer? Someone must be
B> closing out some old hardware.

OK, thank you for your reply, but I am still not sure, that SuSE 9.2
will work correctly. I really like SuSE 10.0, that is very nice work,
but I cannot get any support for "unsupported linux distributions"
from Borland and need to know that SuSE 9.2 will work, because Kylix
doesn't work on newer kernels. As I said (wrote).

I have installed on my actual PC SuSE 9.2 for developing, SuSE 10.0,
Mandriva 2006, Ubuntu 5.1, Knoppix 4 for testing.

--
Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk