Re: [SLE] To go up the Bash history with <Page Up>
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:14:01 +0100
Thu, 02 Feb 2006, by cassandre@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Just a stupid question for my knowledge. I love that feature of the
> SuSe distribution that allows to fetch all the instruction in
> .bash_history that startx with the few characters typed in shell
> followed with <Page Up>. I hope to have myself understood. This feature
> does not exist in other distributions like Debian.
>
> Question is: in what script is this feature encoded? It does not look
> to be in ~/.bashrc and what is the configuration line?

It's not a script, it's the search function of readline (the
function in your shell that reads the commands and lets you edit a
command-line).
Ctrl-R <argument> searches backwards through the history.
See bash(1)

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131