Re: [SLE] OCR software
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:00:34 -0800
On Wednesday 01 February 2006 04:59 pm, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> At 03:58 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, Ken Schneider wrote:
> >Anyone know of any OCR software that -actually- works? I've tried gocr
> >and ocrad and neither one produces -any- readable output.
>
> The program from what used to be called Caere, Omnipage, is wonderful.

I used to support hundreds of scan stations running either a custom VP app I
wrote with the Calera engine or OmniPage Pro from then Calera a.k.a. Caere
a.k.a. Nuance. (Check out the website, looks as if they own both Caere and
Dragon now. Plus there's a hottie wearing an iPod.)

> It runs in MS Windows; maybe it can be coaxed to run in one of the
> clone things that Linux has.

I doubt it. Probabaly way too much in terms of Win32 integration. I just
looked on codeweavers and saw no OCR listed. Worth a shot, though.