Re: [SLE] Session management error
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:12:42 -0500
On Friday 03 February 2006 07:09, Brian Green wrote:
> Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > Brian Green wrote:
> >> Now to follow your advice and see what's required to fool YaST2 into
> >> being able to 'Refresh' the local RPM folder ...
> >
> > No black magic needed. In Yast Sources, simply choose your local
> > directory and choose Edit>Refresh. I also use a directory for
> > downloaded rpms as well as have a source set up for those I build.
>
> But, Joe, (and hence my work-round) whenever I did a refresh all the later
> added RPM's are not referenced by YaST2 and/or YaST2 gives an error (which
> you have to acknowledged ...) that the directory cannot be refreshed. A
> problem with my configuration?

You guys may be able to coax YaST into working with this strategy, but it
isn't very efficient. There are definitely reasons to stage packages locally
for installation, but building and maintaining a single machine isn't one of
them.

If you define the on-line sources correctly in YaST, which really only takes a
couple of minutes when done correctly, you essentially have the entire
distribution plus SUSE maintained alternates (i.e. supplementary packages) at
your disposal *all the time.* Properly setting this basic part of the
distribution up makes what you are doing completely redundant... a waste of
time.

And yes, in response to your question, Brian, the CLI program "rpm" is at the
core of this rpm-based distribution. "man rpm" is quite informative but YaST
also provides a very powerful and convenient GUI interface to it.

I use the YaST interface as follows:

- YOU (online update) to download and install official SUSE patches plus
optional bits and pieces distributed through by SUSE through YOU.

- Install and Remove/Software Management for original SUSE package
repositories (mirrors), including 'unofficial' supplementary directories.

I use the CLI "apt" system (another "bolt-on" rpm interface) to access
community-maintained repositories with packages from "third parties" like
Packman.

The whole point of these systems is to allow one to define on-line sources at
the start and take advantage of them without having to deal with manual
downloads, installs and dependencies.

- Carl