Re: [SLE] Strange cups/enscript behaviour, protection problem?
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:48:51 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 3 23:04 Peter Sutter wrote (shortened):
> I have just re-installed cups on a SuSE V9.2 Linux system. User root
> can print, other users can't; to be more precise, I get a printout
> as user root, but not when logged in as a non-root. Yet when I
> check the cups error log, it looks as if the jobs are getting
> printed. (see the entries in cups error.log below). Observing the
> printers, in both cases, there is data being sent to the printer
> (activity light starts flashing).

Which makes sense because regardless which user submits a job
to the printing system, the processes of the printing system
run always under the same user "lp".

> In both situations, I attempt to print the same text file using
> enscript -P fs_1010_net filename.txt. The printer is a kyocera
> fs_1010 printer with a network port, configured as direct port
> printing to port 9100.
>
> What goes wrong? cups or enscript?

Regarding CUPS, see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/11/jsmeix_print-cups-options.html

Regarding enscript:
Try the same as normal user when you did before
export LC_ALL="POSIX"
export LANG="POSIX"
If it works then, it is a problem caused by the normal locale
setting of this user which may somehow cause enscript to produce
either PostScript which the printer does not understand
or the well known error that in a locale where the decimal point
is a comma the PostScript also contains commas instead of
decimal points which would result a syntax error in the
PostScript interpreter.
To verify print as normal under the normal locale with enscript
into a file (e.g. echo Hello | enscript ...) and grep for ','.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5 Mail: jsmeix@xxxxxxx