RE: [SLE] maximum nproc value
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:56:26 -0600

On Friday, February 03, 2006 @ 4:11 AM, Steve Graegert wrote:

>> > Sorry, to hear that. I've used this code for years in trainings on a
>> > couple of platforms. Never tried that on an Intel box running Linux
>> > prior to 2.6. Can hardly believe that 2.4 can be compromised that
>> > easily :-
>>
>> What's interesting is - it reported CHILD_MAX = 999, yet your bit of
>> code was allowed to start 7000+ processes? (see my other posting)
>> This is not an area I've ever looked into - do I need to enable
>> something or other in order to have a cap on the number of processes?

>There are two settings which affect the maximum number of procs per
>real user id:

>1. /etc/security/limits.conf tells the kernel what and how much
>resources a user/group can use on a particular system. It can be seen
>as a quota.

>2. The shells ulimit (man bash [on my 9.3]) determines the upper
>limit for certain resources like memory, processes and the like. Some
>shells do not support for configuration of all resources (like sh).
>'ulimit -u' tells gives 6143 on my system, thus allowing 6143
>processes per user. When I disable any limits on this resource in
>limits.conf (meaning unlimited) I am able to create this number of
>procs (see my previous posts). I usually limit this resource to 64
>for regular users and bash was not able to create more than 64
>processes. ulimit does not override limits.conf

>The sysconf(_SC_CHILD_MAX) thing is a POSIX limit that can be
>overridden by the kernel and application writer (it's intended for
>developers to encourage them to write portable code). As written
>earlier, from the mathematical POV, systems support billions of
>processes, which does not mean that they are able to handle them. If
>someone wants to find a reasonable max value for the number of procs
>per real user id, one should query sysconf and use the returned value
>as the maximum setting. 'Maximum' is by no means optimal, it's just
>an upper limit.

> \Steve

Wow! I had wanted to increase the max number of files and max processes on
my 2 user accounts in the past and, from reading on this list, had gotten
the impression that that had to be done by changing kernel parameters and
recompiling it. This was back under 8.1 Pro. I needed certain processes to
start with higher limits than the defaults, so I ended up with a work-around
where I actually used a su -C to do a quick switch to root to start those
processes there, where I could up the limits. I just tested setting those
limits in limits.conf and it appears to have worked like a champ! Has this
capability only come along with more recent versions of SuSE, or was it
around back in 8.1 and I just didn't dig it out?

Thanks,
Greg Wallace