Re: [SLE] Cannot talk to netgear WGT624 wireless router ??
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:06:18 -0500
On Saturday 04 February 2006 10:26, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> Still unable to access the WGT624 so changing the ip is not possible.

Hi Patrick,

in an earlier post you wrote:
> ... The router supplies dhcp because I have a dynamically assigned ip
and:
> ... I use one of the free dyns services, no-ip, to provide the illusion of
> static ip for running a web server and email.
and:
> ... with the WGT624, dhcpcd service starts and that should be used
> instead from the router.
and:
> The dhcpcd service does *not* start when I use the RP114.

We need to clarify your arrangement a little.

Note:
dhcpd = the server daemon, assingns LAN client IP addresses
dhcpcd = the client daemon, requests IP leases from the dhcp server

Does your cable modem have dhcp enabled? IOW, does it serve IP addresses to
your clients *through* the RP114 (the RP114 built-in dhcp server is off?)

Also, either router can probably be configured as follows:

a) a client to the modem's built-in routing capability and dhcp server. In
this arrangement, the router acts like a switch, passing client IP lease
requests to the modem for service. With this arrangement, the modem's
LAN-facing IP is the default gateway and DNS.

b) (bridged?) with the modem's internal router/dhcp server turned off. With
this arrangement, the *router* serves IPs via dhcp instead of the modem and
*it's* LAN-facing IP acts as the default gateway and default DNS.

Maybe I'm very confused, but it seems this must be a simple thing... an
oversight... I think it'll help to "zoom in" on these details for a closer
look.

regards,

- Carl