Re: [SLE] Cannot talk to netgear WGT624 wireless router ??
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:16:32 -0500
* Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-04-06 13:08]:

> Note:
> dhcpd = the server daemon, assingns LAN client IP addresses
> dhcpcd = the client daemon, requests IP leases from the dhcp server
>
> Does your cable modem have dhcp enabled? IOW, does it serve IP addresses to
> your clients *through* the RP114 (the RP114 built-in dhcp server is off?)

now you have posed a question I cannot presently answer. The RP114 is
at 192.168.0.1 and I have 192.168.0.1 for dns in /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.0.1

This brings some enlightment. I need to change that after putting the
WGT624 in line to see the dns.

> Also, either router can probably be configured as follows:
>
> a) a client to the modem's built-in routing capability and dhcp server. In
> this arrangement, the router acts like a switch, passing client IP lease
> requests to the modem for service. With this arrangement, the modem's
> LAN-facing IP is the default gateway and DNS.
>
> b) (bridged?) with the modem's internal router/dhcp server turned off. With
> this arrangement, the *router* serves IPs via dhcp instead of the modem and
> *it's* LAN-facing IP acts as the default gateway and default DNS.
>
> Maybe I'm very confused, but it seems this must be a simple thing... an
> oversight... I think it'll help to "zoom in" on these details for a closer
> look.

Yes, this may indeed clear things.

I am away from home for a few and cannot make tests. I will return to
list when able. Presently ssh'ing from son's house. Installing ME
box for grandson with wireless internet access.

tks,